Here is another festive favourite. It has a bright fresh taste with just the right amount of citrus zest and bite.
- Ginger Biscuits (Ginger Snaps) 300g
- Butter 150g melted
- Condensed Milk 397g-400g tin
- Eggs 3 medium yolks
- Limes 4 (juice and zest)
- Mini Marshmallows 100 g
- Pre-heat the oven to 160C/320F (or 140C fan oven). Grind biscuits to crumbs in a food processor or mash with mortar-pestle. Mix with the melted butter and press into the base and sides of 8 inch loose bottom baking tin or pie pan. Bake for 10 minutes. Remove and let cool.
- Zest and juice limes, and reserve a small amount of zest. Whisk the egg yolks in a large bowl (about 1 minute with electric mixer or 5 by hand whisk). Stir in condensed milk and whisk for 3 minutes then add the zest and juice and whisk again for 3-4 minutes. Pour the mixture into the base and bake for 12 minutes. Remove from oven and cover evenly with the marshmallows and return to oven until marshmallows begin to brown (3-5 minutes).
- Remove and allow to cool thoroughly.
- Before serving sprinkle with reserved lime zest.
For a less dense and less sugary alternative, omit the marshmallow topping and bake for 15 rather than 12 minutes, and serve with whipped cream topping after cooling.
Hope you enjoy it.